Monday, August 23, 2010

I've been challenged!

First I want to say that I love a good challenge. It's always nice to have something to keep me going...Yesterday I was definitely challenged. In a great way! Here is how it came about. Every Sunday evening Josh has practice with the praise band at our church and Jackson now has choir practice. They both have to be at church an hour before the service begins. Jordan and I usually tag along so we don't have to take separate vehicles. It's less complicated that way. Yesterday evening when we arrived Jordan was asleep in her car seat so Josh took Jackson on to choir practice then he went to band practice. (He plays guitar.) I had to add that in because it is one of those cool things I like about him. Wink wink. Anyway, I stayed in the car with Jordie bear so she could finish her nap and I took the opportunity to read my bible and journal a bit. It's my new favorite thing. She soon woke up and we headed into to church. I dropped her off in the nursery-which was a complete disaster, as usual. She bawls and squalls every time. I stood outside the door until she stopped. I always try to allow time for that. Then off I went teary-eyed to the sanctuary. When I got to the foyer I noticed a friend of mine sitting, reading her bible on a comfy couch. Of course I wanted to visit her, so I rudely go up and ask if I could join her, but I insisted she didn't stop reading on my account. And she didn't, immediately anyway. She was very friendly and polite, but simply finished reading the passage before she began to visit with me. I was very proud of her and I was glad she didn't allow me to interrupt her time with the Lord. As we began to visit, she was telling me how she has made it a goal of hers not to check her e-mail or get on her computer until she has read her bible that day, and she was needing to get on her e-mail. Love it! Thus, I am challenged to do the same thing. I love e-mail, blogging, facebook, etc, because as a stay-at-home mom, it makes me feel connected to adults for a brief moment in my day. It is amazing how I can take 10, 15, 20 + minutes on the computer, but not fit in my quiet time during the day. For me, and apparently my friend, something is wrong with that. I should be more concerned with connecting with my Lord and Savior first and foremost. It is something I have felt convicted about for a while. It wasn't until my sweet friend had voiced that she makes God a true priority and supports that priority with action, that I wanted to do the same. I don't even know if she realizes that she encouraged me, but as I feel led to take this challenge, I want to encourage you to do the same thing. God's word is amazing! I know because it has changed my life and it can change yours too. Be blessed!

5 comments:

  1. ok james. i am in. this is gonna be tough, but shouldn't be. thus, the point of the challenge. love you and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful challenge!! Thanks for sharing how God is working in your heart!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post my special Peary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaimi, I love this challenge. It's so funny that you posted this when you did, because I have been struggling with this very thing...I don't give a second thought to opening the computer the minute I wake up in the morning but sometimes hesitate when opening God's word. When I start my day with God's word, my day ALWAYS goes better. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to say amen to everything Amy just said!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete