Friday, May 13, 2011

Getting ready for Homeschool

I've only been randomly blogging lately because I've been on a mission. A mission to get my house and life organized in such a way that homeschooling will run smoothly and it will be something I enjoy instead of feeling like it is something I have to do. I want to be as non-stressed about this as possible so I can be the best mom and teacher (and wife) as possible. (I hope being stressed now getting organized leads to less stress in the future.) I've been waist deep in working on a curriculum, but before I got any farther, I felt I must get a bit more organized.
I'm usually good about organizing, my problem is staying that way. I need to simplify in order to get and stay organized. My new motto is "less is more." I really believe that to some extent. I don't have before pictures, but Jess came over last week and we cleaned out the playroom, and both my kiddo's rooms and rid each of them of everything that is not liked, used, needed, broken, to small...you get the point. This left my bedroom with 4 totes, a trunk, and a trash bag full of stuff as well as a shelf, and that is just the kids rooms. Not a pretty sight! I'm horrified by how much JUNK we have and don't use and it is going going gone!!! I love to garage sale and I'm telling you that it is wonderful for finding amazing deals on really great stuff. Many things in my home that I am keeping has been garage sale finds, but the reality is I find much more than I need or want and my 50 cent finds have left my life and schedule too cluttered, thus I not going to do it much any more. (on occasion and only with specific shopping needs in mind.)
Also, I have really focused on what home school is going to look like for us. We already have a play room and I have designated that as the "class room." I've gotten in real teacher mode and made a list of everything we will be doing on a daily basis and kind of a description of how I wanted to use this room. I took out EVERYTHING that didn't fall into my little box of what I wanted this classroom to look like. Each day we will be doing a circle time, music, pretend play, and some school lessons on the chalk board in this room. I also have the desk for computer time for the kids and lesson planning, blogging, mail , etc. for Josh and me. In the closet I have stored art supplies, games, and workbooks. It is pretty basic and simple and that is the way it is going to stay. Away with clutter!!


Next we were on to the bedrooms. I also made a list of what that should be like. (I know I'm a nerd, but it works!) When I think of what I want my bedroom to be like I think of words like relaxing, pretty, and a getaway. I want the same for my kiddos. I don't want them to feel overwhelmed when they go to their room, I want their bedrooms to be a place where they can go and have some quiet play and relax. Just a room they enjoy being in. Since Jackson and Jordan obviously have different interests for the most part when it comes to toys, I put their own toys and books in their rooms. This allows each of them to have a place to go and play quietly on their own. (And a place for me to send them when they keep fighting over something they both do like.)

We also have an extra dinning room that I have designated as a school space. I have placed their table there because it is on tile and my list says this is where they will sit and do their schoolwork, art, various play (ex. Playdough) and projects, and their daytime meals.

I still have a few rooms to go through and a big garage sale to have, but we are well on are way with mission organization and I'm so excited. I feel like I've been on the same mission for a year, but I feel like I can breath! I'm hoping and praying this will free up some time spent always picking up and cleaning and make for days that are as relaxing as possible and foster an atmosphere of love and learning and lots of play! I have had lots of friends ask me about my curriculum. I'm not purchasing a curriculum for kindergarten, I'm creating one based on the Arkansas Department of Education frameworks, but I'll tell more about that some other time.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks great!
    I don't know whether you know yet (because it is just coming out in the schools), but Arkansas is going to some new frameworks referred to as "Common Core Curriculum". I have some of the basic information on the new Math and Literacy Standards if you want to see them.
    - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your school room looks great! Thank for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so organized !!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete