Notice the ink pen above him in this picture. This kind of puts his size in prospective. He was about the length of this ink pen and his arms were as big around as the pen.
If you have a pen near by, take a moment to look at it. Can you imagine your baby being this size? It takes my breath away.
My sister Jessica, had developed pre-eclampsia at 24 weeks. By 25 weeks her blood pressure was so high she was at stroke level and she was very, very sick. I got a call at work saying that if they didn't do something soon she literally could die! Her doctor decided for her sake, they had to deliver the baby. (The only cure for pre-eclampsia is delivery) She was air-vacced to UAMS in Little Rock, AR There she underwent an emergency c-section and within 30min of her arrival our sweet tiny, tiny little Logan Grant was here fifteen weeks early! As you can tell from looking at these pictures he was a VERY sick little guy. They did have difficulty getting a pic line in for oxygen because he was too small. Luckily, they were able to work it out, but due to the long period of having the pic line in and circulation problems Logan lost all ten of his toes.
At three days old he was moved to Arkansas Children’s Hospital to undergo his first surgery. He had heart surgery and the weeks (and years) ahead were filled with many difficulties for John, Jess, Logan on our entire family. I remember visiting my sister and seeing her at the weakest point of her life physically. It broke my heart to see her like this and honestly, as I looked at my Logie Bear, there was nothing in me that thought she would be taking her baby boy home with her! I thank God that I was so wrong and am completely humbled! Humbled out the power of my God and Savior!

This is pretty much what I saw the very first time I saw Logan.
Not my sister…..you know what she did… she completely surrendered her situation and her baby to God. “It's your will” is what she proclaimed! We knew that ultimately God was in control and the only one who can help this tiny sick baby. She came to a point where she had to say “I give him to you and will accept whatever you choose.” I would like to think this is the kind of faith I would have had, but honestly, I don't know. I can’t even fathom this and it makes me realize what a strong person my sister is and a powerful testimony of faith she has. She herself was so sick and her baby was even sicker. God was the only one powerful enough to get them though this situation and she put total faith in Him. She had to cling on to this faith daily, because it was nearly TWO MONTHS before she got to hold her baby boy for the first time. He weighed less than two pounds.
I am so happy to say that after a very long and trying 19 Weeks and 3 days, and with LOTS of prayers and LOTS of ups and downs, Logan Grant Villines was taken home to be with his mommy and daddy. He weighed in at a whopping 3 lbs 14oz. This is a scary birth weight…let alone a take home weight. He came home on pulse ox and oxygen monitors and they had a very long road ahead of them. They really didn’t know what to expect, but were just so thankful to be home and even better they got to take their little miracle with them! Praise Jesus!
Here is Logan and his Daddy.

We knew Logan had brain bleeds and vision problems (ROP) when he left the ACH. At that point the doctors couldn't tell them what kind of disabilities Logan had from the damage on his brain. We just had to wait and watch his development. Once again we all had to pray and give it to the Lord. Remember it's HIS will and not what we think want! God truly knows what is best for our life. As time went on we watched Logan fall further and further behind. Knowing he had disabilities we wondered would he even know who we were? Would he be able to ever sit up, hold a toy, crawl, talk (say mommy I love you) or even walk? After many surgeries including heart, laser on eyes, two hernia repairs, tube placement, and a nissin, as well as lots and lots of therapies, he is growing and doing quite well.
He is now seven years old. He is unable to eat, (he eats through a feeding tube) speak, or walk and is legally blind. Although they face so many daily struggles, we are happy to have this special little boy in our lives and Praise God for Him. In addition, we are very grateful for the staff at ACH. This is a wonderful facility and God has truly worked many miracles through them. Now it is our turn to help them. We want to help reach out to other families with similar situations. This is how we are doing it!
From February 14th to February 28th, 50% of all proceeds from the sale of my new children's book "Silly Sock" will be donated to Arkansas Children's Hospital in Honor of Logan Grant Villines. To purchase books, you may visit http://www.sillysockbook.com or http://www.authorhouse.com/. Our goal is to raise $1400.00 in 14 days. You may also donate books directly to the children of Arkansas Children's Hospital. I know this would be a blessing to them. If you wish to donate a book or books to them, please make your purchase at http://www.sillysockbook.com and put Arkansas Children's Hospital, 1 slot 661 Children’s Way, Little Rock, AR 72202-3591 as the address you would like the book shipped to when you make the purchase online. If you have any questions or would like to participate in helping raise funds for Arkansas Children's Hospital, please contact Jaimi at jaimi@sillysockbook.com
Thank You!!


What an amazing story! He is so precious. I am sure he is a blessing to all those who know them. I know it blessed me to read about him.
ReplyDeleteThat's an amazing story. My niece was born at 30 weeks. She was 1 lb 13 ounces and I thought she was tiny. What a blessing from God! Josh brought your book to work the other day and I love it! I can't wait to buy my own copy!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story, and an incredible, resiliant little boy!!! Logan's story brought tears to my eyes! I randomly came across your blog today, but now I feel it was for a reason. I am buying "Silly Sock" right now! I know my son (and daughter who is on the way) will enjoy this book, and I am so happy to do something to help! :)
ReplyDeleteWow, what an amazing story!! So incredibly touching. I just purchased your book too...so cool! :)
ReplyDeleteSuch a touching story. Logan is a dear heart ! I just purchased your book ! For such a great cause !
ReplyDeleteLogans story has touched the hearts of so many people. He is an amazing little boy and I for one am so grateful to Arkansas Childrens Hospital for saving his life. The book Silly Sock is a wonderful way to show the appreciation of the family of Logan, Five of my friends have bought the book. Such a worthy cause.
ReplyDeleteDonna
Thanks for sharing such an important and personal story. I have the book in my amazon cart right now. One of my college roommates (from ETBU) is a NICU nurse at ACH. I saw this post a couple of days ago and forgot to comment. I'm so glad Kelly posted a reminder. This is such a good thing you are doing! I know it's from your heart!
ReplyDelete